Kings Langley is a large village of roughly 4,000 residents located just to the North West of London, Great Britain.
 
Geography
 
  The village is situated in the Gade valley, near the Chiltern hills, and in the main communications corridor between London and the North West of the country.
 
The Grand Union Canal and the West Coast mainline railway were built along the valley, the M1 motorway runs parallel a few miles to the East, and just to the South of the village, the Gade Valley Viaduct carries the M25 London Orbital motorway across the valley.  
 
Public Administration
 
  Most of the village, to the West of the Canal, is administered in the Parish of Kings Langley, the Borough of Dacorum, and the County of Hertfordshire.
 
The small part of the village to the East of the Canal is in the Parish of Abbots Langley and the district of Three Rivers, with the River Gade/Canal boundary separating state and church dating back to the Domesday Book.
 
Facilities
The village high street contains historic buildings and local shops, and the main part of the village has four churches (including All Saints - see below), three schools, four pubs, two large sporting clubs (the Football & Cricket Clubs), and several other active societies and clubs, e.g. the History & Museum Society, the Scouts, and the Guides.  
 
  In the North of the Parish, there is a separate "mini-community" of Rucklers Lane, including the adjacent Abbots Rise & Shendish Estates, with its own Community Hall (pictured) and pub.
 
The settlements are surrounded by attractive countryside made accessible by public footpaths, and seeking the protection of that countyside has been crucial - see Planning.  
 
History
 
Kings Langley began and acquired its name in Plantagenet times when Edward I’s wife, Eleanor of Castille, bought the “Langelei”, the long meadow or clearing, next to the River Gade. A royal hunting park was created, and a palace built at the top of Langley Hill:
 

Drawing by Dr R Boustred
 
Edward II added a Dominican Friary, and Edward III used the palace to govern England during the Black Death in 1349.
 
The palace was largely destroyed by fire in 1431, but many signs of the village’s royal past remain, e.g. Edmund de Langley, Edward III’s fifth son, the first Duke of York, and a brother of the Black Prince, was buried in a tomb in All Saints, the village’s 15th century church: